Connect with us

World News

OPEC+ Confirms Oil Production Cut

Published

on

opec+-confirms-oil-production-cut

The biggest output reduction since early 2020 has come despite US pressure to pump more

OPEC+ member states have agreed an oil production cut of two million barrels per day, a statement published on the group’s website reads.

The reduction, which is the largest cut since early 2020, will take effect in November, the cartel announced on Wednesday.

According to OPEC, the step comes “in light of the uncertainty that surrounds the global economic and oil market outlooks, and the need to enhance the long-term guidance for the oil market, and in line with the successful approach of being proactive, and preemptive, which has been consistently adopted” by the group.

The cuts are much harsher than most experts had anticipated earlier this week, and are now expected to stem the latest drop in global prices for crude.

Energy ministers from the OPEC+ group led by Saudi Arabia and its allied non-members, including Russia, have held a meeting at the cartel’s Vienna headquarters on Wednesday for the first time since the start of the pandemic in early 2020.

Read more

RT
Washington ‘panicking’ over potential Russian and Saudi oil cut – CNN

The decision on output reduction comes despite intense lobbying by the White House to keep oil production at current levels or higher – something US President Joe Biden had hoped to secure during his visit to Saudi Arabia in July.

On Tuesday, CNN cited an unnamed senior official as saying that Washington had mobilized all available resources ahead of the oil cartel gathering, with the Biden administration “having a spasm and panicking.” The efforts were described as “taking the gloves off.” Some of the talking points drafted by the US administration suggested the potential cut would be viewed as “a hostile act” and a “total disaster.

Meanwhile, most officials from OPEC+ member states said any reduction would be a “technical not political decision,” and cited a “risk of recession” for the cuts as they entered the OPEC headquarters in Vienna.

Suhail Al Mazrouei, the energy minister of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), said that OPEC+ is a “technical organization,” when asked whether the proposal would potentially damage relations with the US.

For more stories on economy & finance visit RT’s business section

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World News

South Africa’s Ramaphosa Awaits ANC Panel Decision On His Fate

Published

on

By

south-africa’s-ramaphosa-awaits-anc-panel-decision-on-his-fate

The case has piled pressure on the president amid heightened tensions within the governing African National Congress.

Continue Reading

World News

The Great Wall Of China Dividing Biden And Macron

Published

on

By

the-great-wall-of-china-dividing-biden-and-macron

Despite the public bonhomie during the French president’s US visit last week, they don’t see eye to eye on China.

Continue Reading

World News

Zhen Kitchen: A Chinese Family’s Restaurant Legacy In Doha

Published

on

By

zhen-kitchen:-a-chinese-family’s-restaurant-legacy-in-doha

Zhen Street Kitchen serves authentic northeastern Chinese dishes in a cosy family-style restaurant in Doha.

Continue Reading

Trending