Connect with us

World News

Australian National Review – French MPs Observe Moment Of Silence For Moscow Terror Victims — RT World News

Published

on

australian-national-review-–-french-mps-observe-moment-of-silence-for-moscow-terror-victims-—-rt-world-news

Paris has always “fought against Islamist terrorism,” National Assembly President Yael Braun-Pivet has said

The French National Assembly observed a moment of silence before its session on Tuesday, paying tribute to the victims of last Friday’s deadly terrorist attack on the Crocus City Hall concert venue outside of Moscow. The assault claimed the lives of 139 people and left more than 180 injured.

“France has always condemned such acts and fought against Islamist terrorism. Wherever it strikes, whatever the pretext, it must be fought,” the assembly’s president, Yael Braun-Pivet, told MPs.

“Eight and a half years after the Bataclan attack, Islamist terrorism has once again cowardly struck the audience of a concert hall,” she added, referring to a series of terrorist acts committed by Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS) extremists in Paris in 2015. The group carried out a mass shooting and took hostages at a rock concert in the Bataclan theater, killing 90 people. The assault was one of three coordinated attacks that claimed a total of 130 lives combined and left more than 400 people injured.

An IS-offshoot known as Islamic State Khorasan (ISIS-K) has claimed responsibility for the Moscow attack. On Monday, Russian President Vladimir Putin blamed “radical Islamists” for the attack, but said it still needs to be established who gave the order.

Pressed on who may be responsible, the head of Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB), Aleksandr Bortnikov, said on Tuesday it could have been the US, UK, and Ukraine.

France’s moment of silence was held in memory of the Moscow terrorist attack victims and in “solidarity with their loved ones,” Braun-Pivet said. Prime Minister Gabriel Attal said later on Tuesday that the Russian people should “never be confused with their leaders,” also expressing “solidarity” with them over the terrorist attack.

Relations between Moscow and Paris have been particularly sour in recent weeks, after President Emmanuel Macron commented that the West should not rule out sending NATO troops to Ukraine at some point in the future amid the conflict between Moscow and Kiev.

His words alarmed even some of Paris’ NATO allies, who rushed to deny having such plans. Moscow warned in response that the move would bring the world to the brink of war. Putin also warned against escalation earlier in March, saying that a direct clash between NATO and Russia would be “one step shy of a full-scale World War III.”

You can share this story on social media:

Source link

World News

Australian National Review – NEW: Marxist Tyrant Letitia James Asks Judge To Void Trump’s $175 Million Bond | The Gateway Pundit

Published

on

By

australian-national-review-–-new:-marxist-tyrant-letitia-james-asks-judge-to-void-trump’s-$175-million-bond-|-the-gateway-pundit

Marxist New York Attorney General Letitia James asked a judge to void Trump’s $175 million bond that he posted to appeal the civil fraud case

Letitia James argued that California-based Knight Specialty Insurance Company (KSIC) is not approved to do business in New York.

James also questioned whether KSIC has the funds to back up the $175 million bond Trump previously posted.

“Based on KSIC’s policyholder surplus in its most recent annual financial statement of $138,441,671, the limitation of loss on any one risk that KSIC is permitted to write is $13.8 million,” Letitia James’ office wrote in a 26-page filing according to Fox News. “The face amount of the bond exceeds this limitation by $161.2 million.”

James also argued in her filing: “KSIC is not qualified to act as the surety under this standard because its management has been found by federal authorities to have operated affiliated companies within KSIC’s holding company structure in violation of federal law on multiple occasions within the past several years.”

“KSIC does not now have an exclusive right to control the account and will not obtain such control unless and until it exercises a right to do so on two days’ notice,” James’ office wrote in the filing.

Letitia James asked the judge to void Trump’s bond and require him to post another bond within 7 days of the court’s decision.

Fox News reported:

New York Attorney General Letitia James is pushing the judge in former President Donald Trump’s civil fraud case to void the $175 million bond that Trump previously posted to appeal his New York civil lawsuit.

In her 26-page filing obtained by Fox News Digital, James questions whether the insurance company has sufficient funds to back it up.

Trump’s bond was posted by California-based Knight Specialty Insurance Company (KSIC), but James argued that the insurer was “not authorized” to write business in New York, stating it is a small insurer that is not authorized to write business in New York and is not regulated by the state’s insurance department, had never before written a surety bond in New York or in the prior two years in any other jurisdiction, and has a total policyholder surplus of just $138 million.

The company has a total policyholder surplus of just $138 million, the filing states. According to New York state law, smaller businesses like KSIC are not permitted to expose themselves to liabilities, like a bond, or any potential loss greater than 10 percent of their surplus.

An appellate court last month ruled that President Trump can post a $175 million bond to cover Letitia James’ $464 million judgment.

Letitia James last month took the initial step to seize Trump’s assets. She filed judgments in Westchester County where Trump’s private estate and golf course named Seven Springs is located.

President Trump had to either pay the judgment or convince the appellate court to allow him to defer the payment pending appeal.

Trump’s legal team filed an appeal and requested a stay on the massive $464 million judgment last month.

Last month Trump’s attorneys sent a letter to the Appellate Division of New York’s Supreme Court and asserted Letitia James’ actions are “unconstitutional.”

The appellate court intervened and ruled Trump can post $175 million bond.

“It is ordered that the motion is granted to the extent of staying enforcement of those portions of the Judgment (1) ordering disgorgement to the Attorney General of $464,576,230.62, conditioned on defendants-appellants posting, within ten (10) days of the date of this order, an undertaking in the amount of $175 million dollars,” the two-page order from the appellate said, according to ABC News.

Letitia James immediately launched an attack on Trump after the appellate court lowered the bond to $175 million and now she’s trying to void it so she can seize Trump’s properties.

Source link

The post NEW: Marxist Tyrant Letitia James Asks Judge to Void Trump’s $175 Million Bond | The Gateway Pundit appeared first on Australian National Review.

Continue Reading

World News

Australian National Review – Massachusetts Transportation Secretary Trying To Squeeze More Revenue Out Of Taxpayers: ‘Going After Everybody Who Has Money’ (VIDEO) | The Gateway Pundit

Published

on

By

australian-national-review-–-massachusetts-transportation-secretary-trying-to-squeeze-more-revenue-out-of-taxpayers:-‘going-after-everybody-who-has-money’-(video)-|-the-gateway-pundit

Massachusetts Transportation Secretary Monica Tibbits-Nutt is trying to find new ways to generate revenue for the state. Taxpayers are apparently not already being squeezed hard enough in the state.

During a meeting with a liberal group this week, she described her efforts and vowed to chase new revenue aggressively.

It’s disturbing to hear a state leader talking in this way, frankly suggesting that she is going after ‘everybody who has money.’

The Commonwealth Beacon reported:

The secretary promised to be aggressive in pursuing change even in the face of strong opposition. To buttress that point, she said she will not spend any time making decisions with the goal of hanging on to her job. She also said Gov. Maura Healey has her back. “This governor likes fights. She does. She loves to fight,” Tibbits-Nutt said, according to a video of her talk on the Walk Massachusetts website.

The secretary is heading a task force charged with coming up with a new funding model for transportation by the end of the year. Many insiders are openly skeptical the task force can reach consensus on a package that can make it through the Legislature, but Tibbits-Nutt said the group will be focused on getting results. She also ticked off several revenue initiatives she is interested in.

“This [task force] is actually different because we’re not censoring it,” she said. “I’m going to talk about tolling. I’m going to talk about charging TNCs [transportation network companies like Uber and Lyft] more. I’m going to talk about potentially charging more for package deliveries, charging more for payroll tax — basically going after everybody who has money. And when I’m talking tolling, I’m talking at the borders. I’m not talking within Massachusetts.”

See the video below:

It almost sounds like she thinks the state is entitled to said money. Almost.

Source link

The post Massachusetts Transportation Secretary Trying to Squeeze More Revenue Out of Taxpayers: ‘Going After Everybody Who Has Money’ (VIDEO) | The Gateway Pundit appeared first on Australian National Review.

Continue Reading

World News

Australian National Review – Former Deputy PM, Civil Libertarians Unlikely Allies Against New Knife Crime Law Push

Published

on

By

australian-national-review-–-former-deputy-pm,-civil-libertarians-unlikely-allies-against-new-knife-crime-law-push

Rumoured calls by NSW Police to have parents held responsible for offences committed by their children is a simplistic approach, NSW Civil Liberties says.

Both Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce and the New South Wales (NSW) Council for Civil Liberties are alarmed by the push from NSW Police, via their union, to have criminal penalties imposed on the parents of children found to be carrying weapons, including knives.

When a riot broke out following the stabbing at the Assyrian Christ the Good Shepherd Church in Wakeley, six paramedics were forced to take shelter in the church for three and a half hours.

The state’s health minister, Ryan Park, described it as “a situation where they were held up with frontline police with hundreds of people outside …. That’s not the sort of scenes we want to see in NSW and it’s not the way in which our paramedics [and] frontline emergency workers should be treated.”

NSW Health Minister Ryan Park speaks outside Newmarch House in Sydney, Australia, on April 29, 2020. (Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)
NSW Health Minister Ryan Park speaks outside Newmarch House in Sydney, Australia, on April 29, 2020. (Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)

It was revealed that the alleged offender, a 16-year-old youth, had been found in possession of a flick knife at a train station in November 2023 and was placed on a good behaviour bond. The boy had also been found with a knife at school in 2020.

NSW Health Services Union leader Gerard Hayes has joined police and called on Premier Chris Minns to introduce laws similar to Queensland’s, which allow police to use metal detectors to search people without a warrant.

Under new laws introduced last year, the maximum penalty for possessing a knife in a public place or school doubled to four years in prison, a $4,400 fine, or both.

Should Be a Serious Offence: Police

In a submission to an ongoing NSW Sentencing Council review, police urged the government to make it an indictable offence for any parent to allow their child to possess a blade. Indictable offences are a more serious category of crime and can attract higher sentences and potentially prison terms.

Related Stories

Teen Accused of Church Attack Had Knife-Crime History
NT Releases Knife Crime Reduction Strategy

Police also called for a separate category of offences for people caught carrying knives on public transport, calling it a “high risk … considering the mass of people concentrated in these areas and potential vulnerability of people using public transport.”

Asked for the government’s reaction at a press stand-up, the Mr. Park said the issue would form part of the coronial inquest.

“We will be looking at everything in relation to this issue,” he said.

“[We] want to do this in a methodical way and part of our making sure that the coroner has the resources they need to do that investigation is so that we can look at a range of issues in relation to this incident.

“But we do have to remember that people sometimes carry out behaviour that is highly unpredictable.”

‘Risk to Children’: Civil Liberties

However, the NSW Council for Civil Liberties said data from the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research shows that knife crime has declined steadily over recent years, and called on the state government to “resist populist calls for legislative change that will not make our communities safer.”

Council President Lydia Shelly said charging parents because their child has committed an offence “oversimplifies the intricate circumstances surrounding children who have contact with the criminal justice system.”

“The stance reportedly taken by NSW police poses significant risks to children. Parents facing criminal charges and a possible conviction may jeopardise their employment opportunities, destabilise their housing situation, and potentially disrupt their ability to maintain custody of their children,” she said.

She urged the government to instead focus on strengthening families and take a whole-of-government approach to prevent children from ever entering the criminal justice system.

“Parents of children who have been charged with a criminal offence do not deserve to be demonised by the media, the NSW police or the NSW government,” she said.

That stance received backing from former Nationals Leader and Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, who said the issue wasn’t as simple as police suggest.

Former Australian Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce speaks at a news conference on Sep. 5, 2023. (Reuters/Screenshot via NTD)
Former Australian Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce speaks at a news conference on Sep. 5, 2023. (Reuters/Screenshot via NTD)

“I think the people that should be pursued [are] the people that incite terrorism,” he said.

“The person that went into a church and stabbed a bishop is inspired by other people, other people got into his head … influenced a younger person to go and try and murder somebody—that’s where your problem starts.”

‘There is a Limit’: Joyce

While Mr. Joyce felt “parents should be given some responsibility … held responsible for their children” he also believed there was a limit to it.

“In the end they have their own agency and start doing what they want, not what the parents tell them,” he said.

Mr. Joyce also pointed out that parents can’t stop their children from doing the wrong thing if they’re unaware of it.

“To say that I’m totally responsible for everything my children have done, it sounds great and very, very dangerous,” he said.

“I mean, you can’t stop someone of their own volition going and buying a knife and not telling you about it.”

On Thursday, Mr. Minns committed the NSW government to “[looking] at the existing legislation and see whether potential changes could help prevent a similar attack.”

Source link

The post Former Deputy PM, Civil Libertarians Unlikely Allies Against New Knife Crime Law Push appeared first on Australian National Review.

Continue Reading

Trending